Monday, July 6, 2009

Thing #15

The video of A Vision of Students Today is a little scary to me. The world is changing so rapidly and we as educators must keep up to engage our students, or lose them.
The Away From Icebergs and Into a New World of Librarianship perspectives had the most meaning for me. I thnk the Library2Play site is a good example of how Spring Branch is trying to move into a Libary 2.0 world. Patrons can access knowledge by clicking on instruction videos and websites and communicate with peers instead of depending on "the librarian" to teach us. Information can be accessed from home, work, train or coffee shop. The librarian's role in the future is to find out the needs of its community of users and then point them in the right direction.

3 comments:

  1. I am concerned about you statement that the video is scary. Is it because things are changing or things need to change or ? Could you clarify for me a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant that the world is changing so rapidly, that it can be, at times, overwhelming to try and keep up. The children of today's classrooms have very different needs than in the past. Does this make more sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...I just didn't want you to feel scared of all this...these are good things as I now know you agree! Yes, our kids today will be in a world we can 't even image any longer. The talking watch of Get Smart for us has come tru in many ways hasn't it...but I can't even dream what our kids will see!

    ReplyDelete